Land Use Planning

Most local governments control the type of development that can take place in their jurisdiction. These decisions can have an impact on local wetlands, streams and lakes. 

What to do:

If you are concerned that a re-zoning or development proposal could affect local waterbodies you should do the following:

o Obtain copy of applications and review site plans for any impacts the re-zoning or development will have on local water bodies.

o  Attend zoning meetings and ask:
1. Any streams on the property? If so will buffers be protected?
2. Are the properties on the stream meeting water quality standards?
3. What will the developer be doing to minimize the impact of and control storm-water post-construction?

o  Provide meeting follow-up written comments expressing concerns and any suggestions for how the impacts could be lessened.


Who to contact:

In Georgia:

Bartow County 770-387-5007   

Chattooga County 706-857-0700

Cherokee County 678-493-6101

Cobb County 770-528-2022

Dawson County706-344-3604

Gilmer County 706-635-3406

Gordon County 706-879-2175 

Forsyth County 770-781-2114

Fulton County 404-730-7545

Murray County--Chatsworth 706-695-2834

Paulding County 770-443-7601

Pickens County 706-253-8809

Polk County 770-749-2104

Rome & Floyd County 706-236-5025

Walker County 706-638-4048‎

 Whitfield County 706-876-2524  

In Alabama:

Cherokee County

Dekalb County



Document Actions